Friday, October 19, 2012

Southwest Chicken Wraps

Sorry for being pretty much MIA all week. It was a week, let me tell ya. Actually, I won't tell you, because most of it is bitching about the post office and stressing about work stuff, so I will spare you the gory details...
 
But I did want to share this amazing recipe that I love and just made for us that is amaaaaze-balls.
 
Something you should also know about me is that I am always craving mexican food. I worked for a mexican food restaurant when I was younger, and I probably gained 300 lbs because I love mexican food...Probably..
 
Anyways, I thought I would end the week with one of my absolute favorite recipes to make during the week that satisfies my craving for mexican food, but doesn't break my calorie bank (meh, I might have broken mine tonight with sour cream, but whatever). When I am thinking about what to prepare for the week, I prefer it to be easy meals because of how late I get off from work. 
 
I try to eat dinner before 6:30pm on week nights, but that is pretty difficult to do since I get off work at 6. So what I like to do is make tons of left overs, or I prepare a bunch of chicken so I can make a many of meals during the week.
 
I buy my large package of chicken from Walmart (ick I know, I don't like Walmart either. But, I get 4 lbs of chicken for about $10 and you just can't beat that). These chicken wraps are always my first go to meal with all the left over chicken I grilled yesterday.
 
 

Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps

1 lbs chicken- diced or shredded
1 pkg taco seasoning (divided in two) - or 1/4 cup of seasoning if you have the tub of it...
1 can corn drained and rinsed - no salt added
1 can black bean drained and rinsed - low sodium
1/4 cup green onions  - chopped
1 1/2 cups of  rice - I get the 5 minute crap that I throw into my Pampered Chef rice cooker - You could try quinoa too if you wanted to.
1 pkg of shredded cheese - I get 2% mexican blend
5 whole grain burrito tortillas
Light sour cream - optional
Cholula sauce - optional
PAM cooking spray - or olive oil if you want to go that route
 
 
1.  Start by preparing your rice in the cooker or on the stove. Once you have that going, warm up your chicken in a greased pan over medium heat. Toss 1/2 your package of taco seasoning (~2tbs) onto the chicken as it is warming up.  
2. Once the chicken is heated up, add your drained corn, beans, and chopped green onions. Toss it around a bit to get the seasoning on everything. Keep it on the heat to let the flavors soak in.
3. Lay out your tortillas on the counter and place a dolop of sour cream into the middle and spread it into a line and place desired amount of cheese on there. I also like to add cholula here! Keep in mind how much of the ingredients you put in, don't Chipotle style these burritos, they are not that big and they can tear easily.
4. Get your rice out of where ever you were cooking it and add it to the chicken mixture on the stove. Add the rest of the taco seasoning packet. Toss everything around in there to let the seasoning cover everything, then pull the pan off the heat.
5. Next, you need a large or flat pan, griddle, panini squisher, Lean Mean Fat Burning Griller Machine thing... Whatever you use, get that out, warm it up, and spray PAM all over it.
6. Fill up your tortillas with the chicken mixture, again, don't over do it because it will be hard to flip your wraps around to cook them. Once you have your desired amount on the tortilla, wrap 'er up in a tight burrito... Pictures to follow in case you don't know how to do that (no judging, I didn't know how to for the longest time).
7. Once you have all your wraps prepared, place them open side down and let them cook for a few until that side is crispy. Spray the top of the wrap with PAM, then flip so that the other side can brown. If you want to get fancy shmancy, you can brown the sides too.
8. Once they are browned, chow down and be prepared to be hooked!
 
 
 
All my left over chickens!

 
The corn, black bean, and chicken mixture

Added the rice to the mixture along with the rest of the taco seasoning.

mmmm.... sour cream and cheese...
Please note: you do not have to use this much sour cream and cheese, but I am PMSing cow and my ass needed it.. ok?

Layered the chicken mixture onto the gallons of sour cream and chicken.

Really get a lot of PAM on the pan.
 

Place the burritos on the heated pan.

Yum!
 

Make sure each side is golden brown!
 
 
Serve them up and chow down!
 
 
I hope everyone enjoys!
 
One last thought to leave ya'll with...
 
This decribes my life... perfectly.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment